Event: There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Tonga.
The government of Tonga has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Tonga Ministry of Healthfor additional information on these new measures.
Air New Zealand has scheduled a commercial flight from Nukualofa, Tonga to Auckland, New Zealand for Thursday, April 30. A connecting flight in Auckland is available to Los Angeles the same evening. These are commercial flights, bookable directly with Air New Zealand. If you are interested in traveling on these flights, please contact Air New Zealand immediately by phone at +64 9 357 3000. In Tonga, you may also visit Kingdom Travel in Nukualofa, or contact another travel agent of your choice. The complete Nukualofa-Auckland-Los Angeles itinerary is not bookable online. Seat availability is limited, particularly on the Auckland-Los Angeles flight.
New Zealand has updated its transit regulations for foreign citizens. U.S. citizens transiting New Zealand must remain airside, cannot enter New Zealand, must depart New Zealand within 10 hours, and must have confirmation from the airline that they will be permitted to board for their entire journey, as well as confirmation prior to boarding that their destination country will permit arrival. (U.S. citizens will be allowed to enter the United States.) Additionally, transit passengers must have no COVID-19 symptoms, must have had no contact with a suspected or confirmed case, and must not be awaiting test results.
Citizens who seek to leave Tonga at the earliest opportunity should carefully consider flight options as they become available. Very few flights are operating to Tonga. Some flights may require purchase of a new ticket on a different airline. Travelers who choose to wait for flights on a specific airline may face uncertain or lengthy delays in departing. Citizens who are unable to pay for the cost of return flights, or who cannot access funds to facilitate urgent departure on a flight, may qualify for a federal loan to cover the cost of travel back to the United States. For additional information, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Fiji.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji – 158 Princes Road, Suva, Fiji +679 331 4466 firstname.lastname@example.org https://fj.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Tonga Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter