An official website of the United States government

Business FAQs for Tonga

Where can I get information on exporting to Tonga?
The U.S. Department of Commerce’s Country Commercial Guides provides U.S. companies information on exporting. The Guide also contains a chapter on the country’s investment climate. Tonga’s Country Commercial Guide 2012 can be found online (PDF 585 KB).


How can I establish a business in Tonga?
To invest and establish a business in Tonga, please check with the Ministry of Labour, Commerce and Industries.

Ministry of Labour, Commerce and Industries.
P O Box 110, Latai Estate, Corner of Salote and Tupoulahi Road
Tel (676) 23 688 Fax (676) 23 887
Email secretary@mlci.gov.to Website: www.mlci.gov.to


Is there a Chamber of Commerce in Tonga and what is their contact?
Yes! The Tonga Chamber of Commerce and Industry is the main organization representing businesses and the private sector in Tonga.

Tonga Chamber of Commerce and Industry
P.O. Box 1704, Nuku’alofa, Tonga
Tel (676) 25-168 Fax (676) 26-039

Email admin@tongachamber.org Social Media – Tonga Chamber of Commerce & Industry Inc


Where can I get information on American suppliers?

The Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides information and services to international buyers for the purchasing of foods and other agricultural products.

Other resources include:

  • ThomasNet is a free-online database with information on suppliers of industrial products and services in North America
  • Hoovers, a division of Dun & Bradstreet (D&B), provide a directory of U.S. manufacturers available online and in print.


How can I verify if an American company is legitimate?
A good source for researching a business is the Better Business Bureau.

Other sources include:

  • Hoover’s Website The company is a subsidiary of Dun & Bradstreet (D&B). The Hoover’s Web site features a database of information on more than 30 million corporations and organizations, and more than 35 million people. Hoover’s also publishes its information in reference books.
  • Kompass business to business directory has 2.3 million companies in 70 countries referenced by 57.000 product & service keywords 860,000 trade names, 4.6 million executive names.


Where can I find information on Trade Shows in the U.S.?

Each year the U.S. Commercial Service through its International Buyer Program supports and promotes around 33 trade shows representing leading industrial sectors. A listing of these shows can be found online.

Other sources for trade show information include:

  • TSNN – The Ultimate Trade Show Resource
  • TSEA –  Trade Show Exhibitors Association


I need information on registering my food facility to export in the U.S.
Please refer to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website.


Where can I obtain information on U.S. Tariffs?

The USITC Interactive Tariff provides information on U.S. tariff data. The site also contains international trade statistics.


Where can I find information on the Trade Preference Program – General System of Preferences (GSP)?

The GSP Guidebook and other information sources are available regarding the use of GSP duty-free treatment, and the fostering of economic growth through the expansion of trade between the United States and GSP beneficiaries.


What agricultural items can I export to the U.S.?

The APHIS Fruits and Vegetables Import Requirements (FAVIR) database allows customers to search for fruits and vegetables by commodity or country, in order to determine the general requirements for their importation into the United States.


Where can I obtain data on exports and imports to/from the U.S.?

Try the following links:

U.S. Census Bureau – Foreign Trade is the official source for U.S. export and import statistics and responsible for issuing regulations governing the reporting of all export shipments from the United States. If you’re searching for import or export statistics, information on export regulations, commodity classifications, or a host of other trade related topics, this is the place to get the information you need.

U.S. Department of Commerce – International Trade Administration


How can I lodge a complaint against a business in the U.S.?

You can file a complaint against a business with the Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection and the Better Business Bureau.


What do I need to do to take my pet to the U.S.?

For guidelines and regulations and other information on importing your pet into the USA, please visit the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Website.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has regulations on the importation of dogs and cats into the United States, visit the CDC website or call them at 1-800-232-4636, for more information on their regulations.

Please also check with the carrier regarding the transportation of pets.


Traveling to the U.S., am I permitted to take food with me?

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection, within the Department of Homeland Security, is responsible for keeping America’s borders safe and secure. Please check their website for guidance.