Event: The Fiji Ministry of Health has announced that there are no longer confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Fiji.
The Government of Fiji has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Fiji authorities have implemented a nationwide curfew from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. Restrictions on interisland travel by air and sea have been lifted. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Fiji Ministry of Health for additional information on these measures.
Air New Zealand has scheduled a series of weekly flights each Thursday in July from Nadi, Fiji to Auckland, New Zealand. These flights connect to a same-day departure from Auckland to Los Angeles. These are commercial flights, bookable directly with Air New Zealand. For additional information, please see Air New Zealand’s website or contact the airline at +64 9 357 3000.
Travelers will not be allowed to enter New Zealand, must remain airside during transit, and are only allowed to remain in transit in Auckland for a maximum of 24 hours. Travelers should not book flights that require connections in Auckland longer than 24 hours.
New Zealand border officials advise that New Zealand transit regulations have changed:
- U.S. citizens traveling on a U.S. passport from Fiji to the United States via Auckland do not require a transit visa or travel authorization. When checking in on the day of travel, they should be prepared to show proof of citizenship and flight details showing details of onward travel to the United States.
- U.S. permanent residents who are Fiji citizens must obtain a New Zealand transit visa before traveling. A simplified application process is available by email, with details on Immigration New Zealand’s website (scroll down to “How to apply for a transit visa temporarily”). Please note that Immigration New Zealand aims to process transit visa applications in seven working days.
Travelers who seek to leave Fiji now should carefully consider flight options as they become available. No commercial flights are currently operating nonstop between Fiji and the United States. Travelers who choose to wait for nonstop flights to the United States or flights on a specific airline may face long or indefinite delays for flights to resume.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Fiji.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji 158 Princes Road, Suva, Fiji +679 331 4466 firstname.lastname@example.org https://fj.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Fiji Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter