Event: The Fiji Ministry of Health has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Fiji.
The Government of Fiji has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Fiji authorities have implemented a nationwide curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.. Restrictions on interisland travel by air and sea have been lifted. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Fiji Ministry of Health for additional information on these new measures.
Fiji Airways has announced a departure flight from Nadi, Fiji to Sydney, Australia on May 22. This is a commercial flight, bookable on Fiji Airways’ website. Seats are limited, and travelers seeking to depart Fiji are urged to book immediately.
Travelers are responsible for booking onward international travel from Sydney. Travelers will not be allowed to connect to another Australian city, and will be required to depart Australia from Sydney. Several airlines currently offer flights between Sydney and the United States, including United Airlines and Air New Zealand. Passengers are responsible for identifying their own connecting flight options, and will be required to have a valid connecting flight to travel to Australia.
Australia currently allows passengers up to 72 hours to transit to an onward flight. Passengers who must remain overnight in Australia must apply for and obtain advance travel authorization from the Australian Border Force in advance of travel, and will be required to stay in an Australia-designated facility for monitored self-isolation until their departing flight.
Additionally, U.S. citizens must obtain or hold an Australian Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) in advance of travel. To apply for an ETA, please visit this link.
Fiji authorities may announce quarantines on short notice as conditions change. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Fiji.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji 158 Princes Road, Suva, Fiji +679 331 4466 email@example.com https://fj.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Fiji Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter