Health Alert – U. S. Embassy Suva (26 July 2022)
Location: More than 60 countries worldwide
Event: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Travel Health Notice forMonkeypox in Multiple Countries.
Actions to Take:
Travelers should AVOID:
- Close contact with sick people, including those with skin lesions or genital lesions.
- Contact with dead or live wild animals such as small mammals including rodents (rats, squirrels) and non-human primates (monkeys, apes).
- Eating or preparing meat from wild game (bushmeat) or using products derived from wild animals from Africa (creams, lotions, powders).
- Contact with contaminated materials used by sick people (such as clothing, bedding, or materials used in healthcare settings) or that came into contact with infected animals.
• Risk to the general public is low, but you should seek medical care immediately if you develop new, unexplained skin rash (lesions on any part of the body), with or without fever and chills, and avoid contact with others. If possible, call ahead before going to a healthcare facility. If you are not able to call ahead, tell a staff member as soon as you arrive that you are concerned about monkeypox.
• If you are sick and could have monkeypox, delay travel by public transportation until you have been cleared by a healthcare professional or public health officials.
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.