Event: The Fiji Ministry of Health has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Fiji.
The Government of Fiji has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Fiji authorities have announced a nationwide curfew from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.. Authorities lifted the quarantine around the Greater Suva area this morning. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Fiji Ministry of Health for additional information on these new measures.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. Fiji Airways has announced the suspension of scheduled flights, and the Fiji Government has announced the closure of Nadi Airport for scheduled flights. The U.S. Embassy is working to identify commercial flight options for those who have just been released from Suva’s quarantine zone. If you are a U.S. citizen seeking to depart Fiji and have not already contacted the Embassy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The government has extended the lockdown of Nabua Settlement (in the Suva area) for 14 days. Additionally, authorities have announced lock downs of two settlements in Vanua Levu: the Vunicagi Settlement (for 28 days) and Soasoa Settlement (for an additional 14 days). Inter-island travel by air and sea remains banned. Transportation to or from these areas, and public services including schools and government offices may be closed. Private companies – including hotels, apartment buildings, or supermarkets – have closed, restricted access, or mandated temperature checks, limiting access to goods and services. Fiji authorities may announce quarantines in other areas on short notice as conditions change. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Fiji.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji – 158 Princes Road, Suva, Fiji +679 331 4466 email@example.com https://fj.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Fiji Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter