Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji (June 21, 2021)
Last Updated: June 18, 2021
*** Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
On June 17, the Fiji Ministry of Health announced 121 new COVID-19 cases in Fiji bringing the case total to more than 1,500. Containment zone restrictions continue to be enforced in several parts of Fiji, including the Suva/Nausori/Lami area. Travel to and from the Suva/Nasouri/Lami corridor is not permitted. Limited exceptions are available for travelers departing Fiji, in some medical cases, and for business deemed essential by the Ministry of Commerce, Trade, Tourism, and Transport.
- In Suva/Nausori,/Lami, a curfew is in place from 6 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- In other areas of Viti Levu, a curfew is in place from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Outside Viti Levu, curfew hours will remain 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. nightly.
- Due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases some routine and emergency medical services may be limited in Suva.
Travelers wishing to return to the United States must now liaise directly with Fiji Airways for bookings and confirmation.
- Fiji Airways has two special flights to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) scheduled for June 22 and July 13. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. These flights can only be booked directly with the airline and not via Fiji Airways app or Web site.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Fiji? Yes
- Are the tests available within 72 hours? Yes
Fiji Airways has reserved pre-departure COVID-19 testing slots for all approved passengers at private clinics in Nadi, Suva, Lautoka and Ba. To schedule an appointment for pre-departure COVID-19 testing, please contact Zen’s Medical Centre at email@example.com, or via telephone at +679 914-0523. To test at these clinics, we recommend travelers reach out to the clinic as soon as possible to schedule an appointment.
Be advised, the U.S. pre-departure testing requirement states that the test must be taken within 3 days of travel. Be sure to allow sufficient time for processing, as test results typically take 24-48 hours. If you do not have a negative COVID test (or approved exemption) prior to the date of travel, you will not be allowed to board the aircraft. All passengers are responsible to make their own testing arrangements; the U.S. Embassy will not schedule the testing appointment for you. Please take your passport as identification with you to the clinic. Further information regarding cost of the test is available directly from the clinic.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Has the government of Fiji approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Fiji for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Which vaccines are available in Fiji? AstraZeneca
- For information on obtaining a vaccine in Fiji visit: https://vra.digitalfiji.gov.fj//
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas.
Actions to Take:
- Follow directions of local officials and monitor local media for updates.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Fiji.
- U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji 158 Princess Road, Suva, Fiji +679 331 4466 firstname.lastname@example.org https://fj.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Fiji Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter