Event: There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Tonga.
The government of Tonga has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Tonga Ministry of Healthfor additional information on these new measures.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. Regularly-scheduled commercial aviation flights to and from Tonga have been suspended. The Embassy has been in contact with both Air New Zealand and Fiji Airways to ensure that both airlines are aware of the strong demand for flights from Tonga to the United States. The Embassy is aware that Air New Zealand has scheduled several flights in coming weeks from Tonga to Auckland, and is working with the airline on the possibility of aligning a future Tonga departure with a same-day connecting flight to the United States. The Embassy will send updates as additional information becomes available. Fiji Airways has not yet confirmed plans for flights to Tonga.
Citizens who seek to leave Tonga at the earliest opportunity should carefully consider flight options as they become available. Some flights may require purchase of a new ticket on a different airline. Travelers who choose to wait for flights on a specific airline may face uncertain or lengthy delays in departing. Citizens who are unable to pay for the cost of return flights, or who cannot access funds to facilitate urgent departure on a flight, may qualify for a federal loan to cover the cost of travel back to the United States. For details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Fiji.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji – 158 Princes Road, Suva, Fiji +679 331 4466 email@example.com https://fj.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Tonga Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter