Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji (March 19, 2020)
Event: The Fiji Ministry of Health has confirmed two cases of COVID-19 in Fiji.
The Government of Fiji has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. Fiji has barred admission to travelers who have recently visited the United States. Visit the website of the Fiji Ministry of Health for additional information on these new measures.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline. Fiji Airways continues to operate a flight between Nadi, Fiji and Los Angeles, and has added several additional flights in recent days to accommodate demand. Travelers seeking to depart on Fiji Airways should visit www.fijiairways.com or call (+679) 3304388, 6720888, or 9103603 to book or reschedule. If calling, expect substantial hold times. Travelers seeking to depart should contact the airline now.
The Government of Fiji has implemented quarantines in the Lautoka, Fiji area. Transportation to or from these areas, and public services including schools and government offices may be closed. Private companies – including hotels, apartment buildings, or supermarkets – have closed, restricted access, or mandated temperature checks, limiting access to goods and services. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Fiji.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy/Consulate Suva, Fiji
158 Princes Road
Tamavua, Suva, Fiji
+679 331 4466
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Fiji Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.