Location: Fiji and Tonga
Event: U.S. citizens in Fiji and Tonga advised that the tsunami warnings have been issued due to the eruption of Hunga-Tonga-Hunga-Ha’apai volcano in Tonga. Tsunami waves higher than one meter were reported in Tonga. Tonga’s Meteorological Services issued advisories for heavy rain, flash flooding and strong winds in lands and coastal waters. Fijian authorities cautioned residents to stay away from coastal areas.
U.S. citizens in areas under potential threat are advised to take precautionary measures, to monitor local media for updated local information, and to follow the directions of local authorities as applicable.
The U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center also issued a tsunami advisory for Hawaii and the West Coast, including Alaska, Washington, Oregon, and California. Vanuatu, Samoa, Australia, and New Zealand have also issued tsunami alerts.
Actions to take:
- Stay away from low lying coastal areas until the threat has passed
- Monitor local media for updated local threat information
- Follow the instructions of local authorities
- Advise family and friends of your whereabouts
U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji
158 Princes Road, Suva, Fiji
+679 331 4466
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.