Apply for a Child’s Passport

Congratulations on your child’s birth!

Your new baby needs a first passport, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (similar to a birth certificate), and a Social Security number. On this page we’ll tell you what you need to do to get all three items.

It is important to start this process as soon as possible after your child is born. In the case of urgent, unexpected travel, your child will need a passport.

Once you have assembled all the necessary items, you must make an appointment for a birth registration. Please call the ACS unit on phone number (679) 331-4466 from Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon and 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm and on Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon, for an appointment.  Both parents must by our office with your child.

How Long Does it Take?

Once we have everything we need, processing time is normally about two to three weeks, as all passport printing must now be done in the U.S.  However, please don’t make any unchangeable travel plans until you have the new passport in hand. We’ll mail the completed passport and Report of Birth to you at your provided return address.

Your child’s Social Security card will be sent to you directly by the Social Security Head Office. Please allow three to six months for the card to arrive.

What do you need?

All birth, adoption, marriage, death or divorce certificates must bear the original seal, stamp or signature of the Official Custodian of the document.  Notarized copies, church records and uncertified photocopies are not official documents and may be invalid as primary evidence.  All documents must be originals.  We will return the original documents to you as soon as processing is complete.  All documents not in English must be translated; you may do the translation yourself.

  • Application for a Passport, Following the Regulations for Minors Under 16
  • Application for a Consular Report of Birth:
    • Application for a Passport, Following the Regulations for Minors Under 16
    • Application for a Consular Report of Birth;
      • Complete (but not signed) CRBA application Form DS-2029 (PDF 61 KB), all questions must be answered;
      • Complete (but not signed) Affidavit of Physical Present and Parentage;
      • Child’s Birth Certificate;
      • Parents’ registered marriage certificate(if applicable);
      • Evidence of termination of any previous marriages (if applicable);
      • American Citizen Parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. Citizenship(U.S. passport or naturalization certificate, passport);
      • Applicable fee please contact the Embassy for the confirmed processing fee.
  • Social Security Number Application (SS-5): Please download and complete form SS-5-FS (PDF 122 KB). Don’t send it to Social Security; instead, submit the completed form to the Embassy along with the other forms and documents needed for your child’s report of birth and first U.S. passport.

Other Necessary Items

  • Personal Appearance by Your Child
    Your child, even a newborn, must appear in person at our offices at the time you make the application. There are no exceptions or waivers possible for this requirement.
  • Complete DS-11 should you want to apply for your child’s U.S. passport simultaneously.  Do not sign the form until requested to do so by the officer administering the oath.
  • 1 most recent 2″ X 2″ passport photograph.
  • Fee
    The fees are US$100 for the Consular Report of Birth, US$105 for the passport, for a total of US$205. We accept only cash or certified bank checks, US or Fijian Dollars. We cannot accept personal checks or credit cards.  Please contact the Embassy for the Fijian Dollar equivalent.

Some Other Things We Might Ask For

  • Evidence of U.S. Citizen Parent’s Physical Presence in the U.S.
    In some situations, how long one or both American parents lived in the U.S. can affect your child’s acquisition of citizenship. If we have questions about this, you may be asked to bring in work, social security, tax, school or records to demonstrate the parent’s period of physical presence in the U.S.
  • Evidence of U.S. Citizen Parent’s Physical Presence Together at Conception: In some situations, such as if your child was conceived out-of-wedlock, we may ask for evidence of the biological parents’ physical presence at the time of conception. Such evidence might include passports, military travel orders, leases, etc. In some complex cases, we may need to request a blood or DNA test.