Minor Passports

Minors under 16 must apply in person.

1. Provide Application Form DS-11.

Note: Please do not sign the DS-11 application form until the Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so.

2. Submit Proof of U.S. Citizenship (for minors under age 16)

You may prove U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following :

  • Previous U.S. Passport (mutilated, altered, or damaged passports are not acceptable as evidence of U.S. citizenship)
  • Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state
  • Note: A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office, which must be within 1 year of your birth
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • A Delayed Birth Certificate filed more than one year after your birth may be acceptable if it has listed the documentation used to create it and it is signed by the attending physician or midwife, or, lists an affidavit signed by the parents, or shows early public records

3. Present Evidence of Child’s Relationship to Parents/Guardians (for minors under age 16)

Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s).

You will need to submit one of the following to establish proof of relationship:

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents’ names); or
  • Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if necessary); or
  • Report of Birth Abroad (with parents’ names); or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (with parents’ names); or
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
  • Court Order Establishing Custody; or
  • Court Order Establishing Guardianship.

Note: If the parent(s)’/guardian’s name(s) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.

4. Provide Parental Identification (for minors under age 16)

Each parent or guardian must submit at least one of the following:

  • Valid Drivers License
  • Valid Official U.S. Military ID
  • Valid U.S. Gov’t ID
  • Valid U.S. or Foreign Passport with recognizable photo
  • Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate from BCIS with recognizable photo
  • Alien Resident Card from BCIS

If none of these are available, you will need to provide a combination of secondary IDs, which may include:

  • Social Security Card
  • Non-U.S. driver’s license or voter ID card
  • Employee ID
  • Student ID
  • Expired ID card

Note: Your Social Security Card does not prove your identity .

5. Present Parental Application Permission Documentation (for minors under age 16)

  • Both parents must appear together and sign or
  • One parent appears, signs, and submits the second parent’s notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16), or a notarized written statement from the non-appearing parent with the same information on a sheet of paper that includes the child’s name and date of birth, as well as parent’s identification information or a copy of his/her ID), or
  • One parent appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):
    • Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth Abroad listing only applying parent; or
    • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order); or
    • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
    • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or
    • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
    • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 .

Note: A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

6. Provide One Passport Photo

7. Pay the Applicable Fee

Click here to see passport fees.

For Passport Application and Execution Fees we only accept cash, money orders and bank drafts. We do not except personal checks or credit cards.

8. Provide a Social Security Number

If you do not provide your Social Security Number, the Internal Revenue Service may impose a $500 penalty.