Your photographs must be:
- One (1) photograph is required for non-immigrant visas and U.S. passport applications, two (2) photographs are required for immigrant visas.
- 2×2 inches in size
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
- Color or black and white
- Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Taken in normal street attire
- Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture.
- Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required.
Attaching the photo to your visa or passport application:
- Staple the photograph(s) to the form in the designated space. Staples should be placed as far away from the applicant’s face as possible.
- Do not enclose photographs in glassine or other types of envelopes. The photograph must be stapled properly to the form in the designated space.
Note: Vending machine photos are not generally acceptable.