Renew a Passport by Mail

Should You Apply for a Passport Renewal by Mail?

Yes, If You…

  • Already have a passport that is not damaged; and
  • Received it within the past 15 years; and
  • Were at least age 16 when it was issued; and
  • Still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change).


  • Passports renewed by mail in the U.S. can only be forwarded to a U.S. addresses.
  • If you mutilate or alter your U.S. passport, you may invalidate it and risk possible prosecution under the law (Section 1543 of Title 22 of the U.S. Code).
  • If your passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person.

If you can, then How Do You Renew Your Passport By Mail? 

1. Complete Application For Passport By Mail, form DS-82
  • Be sure to sign and date your application.
2. Attach to it:
  • Your most recent passport
  • One recent passport photograph
  • And, a US$110 fee payable to the U.S. Embassy-Suva.  Please contact the U.S. Embassy for its FJD equivalent.


  • Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport.
3. If your name has changed since your passport was issued:
  • Enclose a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree, or court order).
  • No photocopies accepted.

Note: If your name has changed by other means, you must apply in person.

4. Mail in a padded envelope to:

Consular Section
U.S. Embassy
P.O. Box 218
Suva, Fiji Islands

5. If you use an overnight delivery service that does not deliver to a post office box, then send it to:

Consular Section
U.S. Embassy
158 Princes Rd, Tamavua
Suva, Fiji Islands