Diplomats and other foreign government officials traveling to the United States to engage in official duties or activities on behalf of their national government must obtain A or G visas prior to entering the United States. All transit to a third country (such as Canada) for official business requires an official C-3 transit visa.
Diplomats and officials cannot travel or transit using visitor visas or the Visa Waiver Program to engage in official duties or activities on behalf of their national governments. Please click here for more information: Visas for Diplomats and Foreign Government Officials
How to apply for a Diplomatic/Official Visa at the U.S. Embassy in Suva:
To obtain a diplomatic or official visa for the United States, please submit the following documentation to the Consular Section at least three working days in advance:
- Valid Passport. The passport should be valid for at least six months after your intended entry into the United States. The passport should also have blank, available visa pages.
- The DS-160 visa application confirmation page (with barcode). Complete the web based visa application form DS-160 online at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/.
- One color photograph. A recent photograph, 5cm x 5cm (within which to measure the face 3.5 CM from the head to the chin and 2.5 cm from side to side) of each applicant. Additional photo requirements are described here.
- Travel Itinerary. This can be a tentative itinerary. We understand that you will not confirm a booking until after the visa is issued.
- Diplomatic Note. The Diplomatic Note must include the following information:
- Names of the official travelers and their titles or official status.
- Date of departure, destination in the U.S., and length of stay in the U.S.
- The purpose of the official trip.
Official Visa Office Hours
To better serve you, we have specially designated office hours for official and diplomatic visas. You or your staff may submit the visa application packages from Monday-Friday between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Official Visa Processing Time
We do our best to support your travel. We ask that you please submit your visa application packages as soon as you learn about your travel plans. We always need a minimum of two working days to process official visa applications.
We will inform you once the passport with the visa is ready for pickup. Our standard time for pickup is Monday-Friday between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Visa fees and interview requirements
The interview and fingerprinting requirements are waived for diplomats and government officials traveling on official business to the United States. The processing fee is waived for diplomatic or official visas. This includes applicants who qualify for the official transit visa (C3).