February 2, 2018
Location: Fiji and Tonga
Event: There are a series of three weather systems with the potential to pass over Fiji and Tonga over the next seven days, causing widespread heavy rain and possible flooding. There is a possibility that one or more of the systems could develop into a tropical cyclone with destructive winds.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to low-lying areas until the storms have dissipated and flood waters have receded.
- Monitor the local news for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Prepare for severe weather by ensuring an adequate supply of bottled water, non-perishable food items, medications, and vital documents.
- Visit the Fiji Meteorological Service, Na Draki, or the Central Pacific Hurricane Center for updated storm tracking information.
- U.S. Embassy Suva, Fiji(+679) 772-8049 after business hours
- (+679) 331-4466
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Fiji Country Information
- Tonga Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter