Event: Tropical Cyclone Gita is forecast to pass over the main islands of Tonga on Monday, February 12, and Tuesday, February 13, causing destructive winds, waves, and possibly flooding.
Actions to Take:
• Avoid travel to low-lying areas until the storms have dissipated and flood waters have receded.
• Monitor the local news for updates.
• Seek secure shelter.
• Prepare for severe weather by ensuring an adequate supply of bottled water, non-perishable food items, medications, and vital documents.
• Visit the Fiji Meteorological Service, Na Draki or the Central Pacific Hurricane Center <http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/> for updated storm tracking information.
• U.S. Embassy Suva.
(+679) 772-8049 after business hours
• State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
• Tonga Country Information
• Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
• Follow us on Facebook and Twitter